Media Studies Intro to Cinema

A qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog

Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, US, 1960)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Francesca Scaturro at 8:05 am on Monday, November 7, 2011

Psycho is a psychological thriller. This movie is very creepy and yet so interesting at the same time that you cannot take your eyes off the screen. One of my favorite elements of the film is the music. The music creates this tension that I love because it keeps me on my feet, wondering what’s going to happen next. Another thing I noticed about this film is that it was similar to Yasujiro Ozu’s Early Summer, because this movie contains a narrative ellipsis with Marion Crane at the beginning of the film. Hitchcock allows us to build a relationship with this character only to have her murdered midway through the movie. It’s obtrusive, but it serves a purpose to guide us into the rest of the film where we are introduced to the real star of the show, Norman Bates. It’s a very creative and stylish way of introducing the real protagonist of the movie by murdering the woman who we thought to be the main character. Another very interesting characteristic about Hitchcock is the way he plays with women and voyeurism in this film. He uses the film to make a statement about women, and sort of suggests that treating women in such a violent horrific way is an aphrodisiac for him. The voyeurism is also very interesting, because he brings to light something society looks down upon and putting it into a movie. It’s interesting to think how people who are peeping tom’s reacted when seeing this movie, whether or not they felt more comfortable knowing that they aren’t the only ones who peep. Movies like this give us a glimpse into the chaotic inner workings of his mind, and that’s why I love this movie because it challenges the types of movies society is used to. It gives society something to think about, especially opening up the public’s eyes to different types of minds, ones that the world may think of as strange and unusual. I also like how Hitchcock brings this Freudian psychoanalysis to the audience at the end of the film, looking into Norman Bates’ mind. The movie is tantalizing and the ending is totally unexpected. I bet that no one would have expected that such a deep problem could be rooted into such a relatively young man’s mind such as Norton. I would have never expected this film to end the way it did, and I have to say the ending was awesome.

wiz.vsmpo.ru

2015/01/17 @ 12:27 am

wiz.vsmpo.ru

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.